Saturday, December 4, 2010

Climbing up Batu Caves 爬上黑风洞 ...


The customary thing that I do in a place of worship is to
pay my respect within the limits of it's religious practice ....



That is what I did before climbing up the Batu Caves .....



The cave is one of the most popular Hindu shrines outside India, dedicated to Lord Murugan. 
It is the focal point of Hindu festival of Thaipusam in Malaysia.



Batu Caves in a limestone hill ...
The limestone forming Batu Caves is said to be around 400 million years old ....



To reach to the caves above, 
visitors have to climb a steep flight of 272 steps ...
At almost 50, it is not easy for me to climb all the way up at once, 
so I stopped for some photography in the middle of the climb .....



I greeted several young monks and chat with one who was
also on the way up to the caves,
it seems that he lives here in one of the temples ....



A 42.7m (140.09 feet high) high statue of Lord Muruga 
was unveiled in January 2006, having taken 3 years to construct.
 It is the tallest Lord Muruga statue in the world.